Monday 10 February 2014

Red-flanked Bluetail Twitch


I’ve never been on any major national twitches before but after hearing a Red-flanked Bluetail had been found just off the M4 only 25 minutes from Severn Beach I thought it was worth a trip.

There was no mistake I was in the right place by the huge amount of parked cars in the area as I arrived at the destination. I followed a path down to a pretty valley where about 50-60 birders were all watching a large bush closely. I could see the back of the bird but nothing more. 

Fellow Upton Warren birder/photographer spotted me and kindly shepherded me to a space by him allowing for great views. The bird was flying down to a stump of grass to feed where I managed to grab a few record shots. Vern as always was getting some brilliant shots.

This smart Robin looking bird is best known as an Autumn visitor to the UK. This beauty should be wintering in South East Asia/Indian sub-continent in much warmer climes before heading back to Russia or Siberia to breed. Despite this there has been 30+ recorded visits since 1993 it was a life tick for many hence the terrific national interest. A brilliant find by patch birder John Barnett.

As always there was a handful of birders who just couldn’t wait for the bird and started to climb to the valley to steal a view. They were duly shouted at to avoid it kicking off.  The best quote was from a birder who offered one of the valley climbers a swim in the brook ! 

Many thanks to Upton Warren photographer Vern Wright who kindly forwarded a brilliant image I've used at the start of my mini video.

On the way home I stopped in at Aust Warth on the hope of seeing a Short Eared Owl. I had to make do with a pair of Stonechat, Reed Bunting and Meadow Pipet. There were plenty of waders including Dunlin, Curlew, Oystercatcher and large flock of Turnstones.

I did stop at Slimbridge as an elusive Bittern had been reported. Needless to say it had taken cover in the reeds. I’ve still never seen a Bittern at Slimbridge or Upton Warren. 

No comments:

Post a Comment