Monday 17 March 2014

Green-winged Teal at Morton Bagot





Despite a late drive back from London I still made it out to the north of the Arrow Valley Park by 6.30am and it certainly paid dividends as I located two Oystercatcher, a fly over by a Raven and a small flock of Linnet all patch firsts for the year. Lapwing were displaying in there usual place but numbers are lower than last year. I was hoping to find a Wheatear but I had to settle for a flock of 100+ Fieldfare which must be due to leave these shores very soon.

I has just started to add the sightings to Birdtrack when I checked Rare Bird Alert to see a Green-winged Teal at the near by Morton Bagot. I was in the car within five minutes and quickly arrived at the Church. The walk through Church Farm takes you to a great viewing position of the flashes and with a couple of birders already on site it had some good views of the Teal through the scope. Another gem of a find in this jewel in the crown. Three Green Sandpiper were feeding on the flash furthest away whilst a Common Buzzard sailed above the pools. On the way home I past a Red-legged Partridge which is always a nice bird to see locally. A great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment