Sunday 18 January 2015

Finch flocks at Gravel Pits

 Main Pit
Pophills fields


I hope these photo's don't give the impression that it was a nice today at Salford Priors as it was freezing cold and wet ! 

Pophills Pit was quiet again, no doubt the local jogger flushed everything off early so I explored the fields. My view from the road showed 70 Greylag feeding and there must have been 1000+ Wood Pigeons among the crops.

As I walked down the hedgerow I came across a flock of 20 Yellowhammers and 50+ Greenfinches & Chaffinches. I found a spot out of the wind and watched them come in and out of the crops. They were also joined by three Stock Doves, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Buzzard, Red-legged Partridge, Pheasant, Rook and a mixed flock of Redwing and Fieldfare.

Passing the plantation it was good to see the first Coal Tits of the year and there was the normal good numbers of Goldcrests.

On the main pit there was no sign of the recent Scaup but there were a flock of 140 Canada Geese (my highest number for site). Other sightings included Grey Wagtail, 13 Black-headed Gulls, nice Cormorant, Herring Gull, four Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 19 Little Grebe, eight Pochard, two Shoveler and 20+ Teal.

No comments:

Post a Comment