Sunday 24 May 2015

North Wales - Day 1 - Black Grouse among the stars on show

Black Grouse 
Wheatear
 Point of Ayr
Odd one out
Little Tern
RSPB Conwy

The beautiful coast lines, estuary’s and mountains of North Wales are always a temptation so when I had an invite to stay with my parents who were on holiday I instantly booked a couple of days off.

After a late (ish) Saturday night I left early to Worlds End near Wrexham. The two hour journey was pretty easy given as I climbed up the moorland a Wheatear greeted me on a stone just outside the car. There were only a couple of Black Grouse in the place I’d seen them before however after just another half a mile up the road another 14 Black Grouse were leking. It always great to see these beasts go about their morning ritual.

At the far end of the moor I had a short walk on the paths to stretch the legs and a calling Cuckoo, Tree Pipit and Stonechat. Further down the valley a Redstart flew straight across in front of me whilst Wood Warblers were singing their hearts out and a Dipper was busy feeding on the fast flowing stream.

Next stop was Point of Ayr on the coast, and whilst the views from the hide were disappointing apart from a Whimbrel when I walked to the Lighthouse end of the beach I found a huge flock of Dunlin which were with Sanderlings and Ringed Plovers. Sadly local dog walkers were letting their dogs roam loose causing the birds to be very unsettled. This type of behaviour really gives areas and dog walkers a bad name. On the plus side the parking was free and a local café duly delivered a great bacon sandwich and cup of tea. Despite it still being quite early in the season I stopped in at  Gronant, Prestatyn to see the returning Little Terns. The colony looked to be all set up and ready for the Terns but I could only locate around six birds but there was over 40 Sandwich Tern sat out on the coastline.

Final stop of the day was RSPB Conwy where I had a slow walk around the reserve taking in the 100+ Shelduck and 15 Little Egrets on the estuary whist Swifts and Sand Martin were feeding low above the reserve lakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment