Wednesday 28 December 2016

Annual Review :- Birding out & about in 2016








This year has been an amazing year to see birds in the UK with records surpassed, quite surprising after a very slow start to the year. By the end of the first quarter of the year I’d only recorded three new species (with none in March at all). The Autumn was awesome with me recording four new species in September & October.  My annual target of ten was past with ease in June with a flying visit for the Titchwell Great Knot. My total of recorded species for the calendar year was 254.

What is even more remarkable is I was laid low for two months of the year as I had two separate groin operations. I’m really now hoping I’m on the road to a full recovery. For the first time in 14 months I considered getting the bike out so signs are encouraging.

Here are my favourite top ten birds of 2016 taking account of the bird, the days experience & the environment. (It's not all about lifers)
1)Siberian Accentor (Easington, East Riding - October)
An epic day on the east coast saw the first main land Accentor delight thousands of twitchers & enthusiasts. Despite the crowds a perfectly timed arrival saw me get a prime spot for parking and instant views.
2)Dusky Thrush (Beeley, Derbyshire - December)
A packed car park lead us straight to the birding treat of this December. The Thrush was showing well straight over the wall from the last parking space. We managed to see the bird well in three separate location in addition to flight views.
3)Greater Spotted Cuckoo (Portland, Dorset - May)
On the eve of a few days break in Dorset with my parents this beauty was discovered. The Cuckoo, on my most wanted to see list,  thankfully hung around & was reported as I’d got within an hour of Portland. The views were fantastic & after a great session I added another lifer at Lodmoor in the shape of a Red-rumped Swallow.
4)Baird’s Sandpiper (Upton Warren, Worcestershire - September)
I had to include the Baird’s Sandpiper, just 10 minutes from home. What a superb bird. A perfectly organised twitch by Lord Belsey & it was great that a national rarity was on our doorstep. The bird was kind enough to hang around so I allowed myself the luxury of a return visit in wonderful conditions.
5) Dalmatian Pelican (Restronguet Creek, Cornwall - August)
Whether this giant of skies was accepted it was still a great bird to see in Cornwall on an enjoyable weekend based around sea watching. It took us a while to find the big fella but when we did we got great views in flight and then it sat on the island in front of us.
6) Great Knot (Titchwell, Norfolk - June)
Definatley scores points due to it’s rare status and birds always look great on Titchwell beach. Not the most of stunning individuals but certainly worth the trip east.
7) Hen Harrier (Upton Warren, Worcestershire – December )
To see a Hen Harrier at Upton Warren was awesome. It wasn’t the case of seeing one perched then flying off, this ringtail treated the locals to some amazing fly passes and certainly enabled me to take my favourite photograph of the year.
8) Common Rosefinch (Walthamstow, Greater London - July)
Fancy going to London midweek ? No was my first answer however I still took up the opportunity to jump in with Dave & Tony for a day trip to the Stow. An initial wait was rewarded with some superb views of the male Rosefinch.
9) Corncrake / White-tailed Eagle ( Iona & Mull - May)
A bit of a cheeky double here. A trip to Mull in May was just heavenly. Clear skies, great company, top hotel and amazing wildlife. Fantastic views of the eagles flying above us and Corncrake passing our feet in Iona. Memories to last a lifetime.
10) Lesser Yellowlegs (Fremington , Devon - September)
Another slice of luck with this cracker. Heading to spend a few days in Somerset (photography competition win) Roland kindly text me to advise me of the bird and chances of success was high. The assessment proved spot on as the bird was feeding some 20 metres from roadside giving terrific views.

Additional lifers......
Pallas Warbler (Cheshire), Serin (Lincs), Hooded Merganser (Wiltshire), Iberian Chiffchaff (Shropshire), Kentish Plover (Greater Manchester), Squacco Heron (Glamorgan), White Stork (Somerset), Broad-billed Sandpiper (Newport, South Wales), Red-rumped Swallow (Dorset), Collared Pratincole (Somerset), Storm Petrel (Cornwall), Purple Swamphen (Lincs), Spotted Crake  (East Riding), Isabelline Wheatear (East Riding), Siberian Stonechat (East Riding), Richards Pipit (Norfolk), Blyth’s Pipit (Somerset), Blue Rock Thrush (Glous) & the bonus of Eastern Black Redstart (Gloucestershire).

Dip of the year has to be the haunting experience of trying to see a Raddes Warbler in Norfolk during the Autumn. Someone was clearly taking the proverbial. On the plus side I did meet two new birders in Ian & Ben that I’ve been in regular contact with since.

I’m always pretty happy undertaking some of these trips on my own as it’s just more flexible and it was interesting to note that I did 13 trips solo, 6 with the Alcester Squire, 2 with Dave Johnstone (with buddies Tony & Butterfly Dave), 7 with King of Warwick Racecourse and two with Mrs D. A couple of extra places in car have been made up with others but thanks to everyone for their good spirits and banter. Remember car music is the prerogative of the driver !


Roll on 2017..........

No comments:

Post a Comment