Sunday 5 February 2017

Slimbridge clear up

Bewick's Swans
Morning stretch to show who's boss
Pintail looking stunning in morning sun
Flushed waders
White-fronted Geese
Barnacles 
A very confident Robin
Bittern taken through glass

Another poor distance shot

I was well overdue a visit to Slimbridge and a bit of good weather gave me the encouragement I needed to head down the M5. The car park paid an instant dividend as there was a calling Redpoll and a flock of Long-tailed tits. The advantage of being a member is getting the privilege of entering from 8.15am through a side gate rather than having to wait until 9.45am when the main entrance opens. 

The Rushy pen was full of winter wildfowl including the brilliant Bewick's Swans, Pintails, Pochard and Teal all very close to the hide. The Bewick's are always a real pleasure to watch and it was interesting to see them engage with each other. 

From the Holden Tower I quickly recorded my first White-fronted (155) & Barnacle Geese of 2017 before I started searching for the recently reported Lapland Bunting. I teamed up with a local birder and early effort only resulted in Skylarks & Meadow Pipits before I found a bird worth investigating behind a scrape, partially hidden. Patience was needed until we were both happy with ID of a Lapland Bunting. Later on in the morning three Cranes landed on Dumbles & the Bewick's also appeared slowly after leaving the Rushy.  

The South Lake had the regular birds including four Ruff, 90 Black-tailed Godwits, two Oystercatchers,1000 Lapwing & a pair of Goldeneye. 

The Ziess hide was where all the action was happening as an adult male Goshawk was hunting the hedgerow towards the Kingfisher hide. In all my previous visits to Slimbridge I'd never seen this species before. From the same spot I recorded a Spotted Redshank, 300+ Dunlin, seven Ruff, Water Rail and a very cheeky Robin.

I did have a final treat when I found not one but two Bitterns on the reverse side of where the Goshawk launched its attack from. I did manage to get a couple of shots but the camera was only held hand through the hide windows as I didn't want to flush the birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment