Thursday 1 March 2018

Ring-necked Duck on Cotswold jolly

Close views early morning
Side on view with filter
In the flock
Goldeneye passing the local Red-crested Pochard
Flock of Red-crested Pochards

Short video clip
After two days of great birding I thought I'd try and make it three out of three by heading into the Cotswolds to hopefully see a Ring-necked Duck. Cotswold Water Park is a bit of a maze but my previous evenings research proved fruitful as I parked up close to pit twelve.

Following the path to the north end I found the American vagrant with a flock of Tufted Ducks. For those never to see one, the Ring-necked is similar to a Tufted but lacks the tuft and high crown, the bill is grey with a white band. These diving ducks are exclusively freshwater birds who feed on aquatic plants and small fish. They breed in wooded lakes in Canada & northern America. 

The first UK record was in 1955 but are now annual with around a dozen recorded every year. 

After getting a few shots I watched the bird and helped a few other birders arriving at the scene. Within a few hundred metres was pit sixteen where there was 13 Red-crested Pochard and 4 Goldeneye (1 drake). 

When leaving the water park a male Peregrine flew over me heading south.

No comments:

Post a Comment