Monday 21 May 2018

Spring break (Day 1) - RSPB Ham Wall




Ten days off work in May meant it was that time of year to head south to spend a few days with my parents using Lyme Regis as the usual base. Previous years I've gone direct to Portland so to mix things up I headed to RSPB Ham Wall.

At this time of year the reserve can be seen at its absolute best. Before leaving the car park Swifts were soaring overhead and a Cuckoo was calling high on some dead trees.

I saw and heard Garden Warblers in three seperate locations as I headed towards the Avalon hide. The hide was full of photographers so I had to wait a while to get a good viewing position. Two Bitterns emerged flying very high but struggled with it being so windy. As they beat their wings they just didn't make any progress, in the end they gave up and landed distantly. 

There were many sighting of Great White & Little Egrets but apparently the breeding Cattle Egrets had not been seen since the very cold weather.

As the weather warmed up a number of Hobby's emerged, a couple at first then I reached three within the same scope view. 

With the water levels very high I walked through to Shapwick Heath, where remarkably I found some passage waders. A Greenshank, 2 Ringed Plover & a Little Ringed Plover were all on the first lagoon. 

Satisfied with a good morning I headed out towards Glastonbury Tor on the way further south.

No comments:

Post a Comment