Monday 6 April 2020

Lockdown birding (West Redditch)


Treecreeper
Goldcrest
Song Thrush
Fieldfare

Blackbird
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Greenfinch

Horse paddocks
View south
Moon views
Roe Deer
Goldfinch
Malvern views

With the outbreak of COVID-19 forcing everyone to stay home, I mapped out a series of routes from my home on the edge of Redditch making the most of my permitted time allowed for exercise. My best find on this area historically is a Common Redstart.

The habitat is quite mixed and rather secluded. There are a number of small pools in the area but nothing that would attract a wader. I've love to find a Ring Ouzel here during spring migration but I could just be being very hopeful.  

From the highest points you get excellent views of Bredon & Malvern Hills, whilst closer to home you can see the masts at Upton Warren. 

Most of the birding is as expected in all honesty but I've really enjoyed walking and trying differnet routes from home and adding in something new each day. I had been struggling for a few expected species but given a bit of patience they have duly been added. 

The Treecreeper we watched at close quarters was particually enjoyable whilst by the end of the week there were Chiffchaffs  everywhere and the first of the Blackcaps had arrived. I've created a page as a permanent record and I'll keep an updated list.

After the first two weeks of lockdown I'd recorded 53 species including Red Kite, Skylark & Yellowhammer.  



No comments:

Post a Comment