Sunday 7 November 2021

Scillies - Day 7 - Western Subalpine Warbler on quick return from Bryher

 Western Subalpine Warbler
Rainbow days

Bryher

Spoonbills (Heather Bennett)
Glossy Ibis (Paul Freestone)
Black Redstart
Richard's Pipit
Rosy Starling
Richard's Pipit
Richard's Pipit


My last full day on the magical islands before heading for home. The forecast was for sunshine and showers so I headed over to Bryher with Adam. Bryher isn't a island I visited on my early visits to the islands but now it's really grown on me. The crossing was a little choppy in more ways than one. A local sat next to Paul made a really rude comment about holiday makers which Paul duly addressed with her. Thankfully we sat on the right side of the boat to avoid waves but also see the Spoonbills on the beach.

Our first target bird was Wryneck which proved very illusive. We saw it twice but both times briefly. From the same view point we could see the Hoopoe previously seen on St Agnes. Two Pink-foots flew off the pool as we approached and other sightings included a Peregrine and a Kestrel.

Then a message landed from Adam - Subalpine Warbler (Telegraph,St Marys) - most likley to be western. Another great find and was a bird I'd not seen and would complete my Subapline set.  How to get there was the next problem. So we elected to get the first boat at 2.30pm and whilst waiting a Glossy Ivis flew in over our heads. Telegraph is a big walk from the Quay and with light against us we tried taxi companies but they were fully booked. Thankfully Spider agreed to meet us and whizz us up to the bird. Upon jumping out there was negative news that bird had flown and had not been seen for over 90 minutes.  Whilst looking for the warbler we picked up a juvenile Rose-coloured Starling, second of the Autumn but the priority was still the pesky warbler. I then bumped into Adam and Heather after trying the duckpond, he was convinced it would it be in same hedgeline. You can't ignore that advice. So James & Emma Packer, Tim & myself returned to the field and decided to work through it bit by bit. A bit of movement raised hopes so we stuck to it and there feeding on the blackberries was the female Western Subalpine Warbler. (highly probable given call and tail photographs). Both myself and Emma were elated as we both needed the species on our life lists.

We were not done there either, hopping and skipping back down the road I'd try for the reported Richard's Pipit which had been eluding me and by magic it was feeding just thirty yards away from the road enabling me to get the best views I've ever had of this species also. Scillies delivers yet again........

 

No comments:

Post a Comment