Sunday 15 December 2013

Little Grebe is surprise visitor

West path at Arrow Valley Lake
 Goldcrest
 1st Winter Little Grebe
Goosander

I was really undecided where to walk this morning, the forecast was very poor so was surprised to get a couple of hours out in great conditions at the Arrow Valley Lake.

Redwings continued to be hurtling around once again on the path down to lake. On the lake it seemed the Goosander had returned again with 4 males and 2 females being present. When lining up to scope an image I noticed a small Grebe swimming away from me towards the main island. It was a Little Grebe, whilst common in a number of places in Worcestershire its certainly the first seen by myself on patch. Shoveller numbers had increased in an impressive 13, certainly the most I've seen there. Most of them were feeding in front of the Visitor Centre.

I did only see 4 Grey Herons, 6 Cormorants whilst Great Crested Grebe are now down to just 2. 

When heading past the Visitor Centre I opted to turn north and walk along the bridleway back to my starting point.  I don't often walk this way generally however within 200 yards I'd located 2 Goldcrest (showing to 3 feet) which was stunning to watch, Siskins, Treecreeper, Long Tailed Tits, Redwing, Blackbird, Mistle Thursh, Blue Tit, Great Tit and Blue Tits. 

As I left 40 Greylags were circling as struggling to land as the sailing had started. A Common Buzzard was in field by north car park. A superb morning walk.







No comments:

Post a Comment