Tuesday 10 December 2013

Snow Goose lands at Arrow Valley

 Greylag flock
 Snow Goose
Snow Goose

Managed at quick lap of the Lake on Monday afternoon as I'd taken the day off as my eldest needed taking to the dentist in the morning. Whilst looking through the assembled gulls including a Lesser Black Backed Gull I was approached by female birder intrigued by what I was looking at through my scope. She told me on Sunday a large flock of geese had been on the take basking in the sunshine, we established there were Greylag after showing her a photo on my phone.

After walking down the west side the flock of 180 Greylag were in the south corner with 5 Canadian Geese. With the flock was a Snow Goose. Whilst in all probability an escapee it will be impossible to know. After speaking to Brian Stetch of Worcestershire Birding he advised there is a large feral population of Snow Geese in Oxfordshire where most of these lone birds probably originate from. There was one reported at the local Morton Bagot this year.

A nice bird to see though, regardless of origin.

No comments:

Post a Comment