Monday 20 January 2014

Beardies, Kites, Hares and Egret

Cattle Egret (Digiscoped)
Otmoor
Fieldfare (Digiscoped)
Bearded Tit (Thanks to Pete Walkden)
Taking to the air
Hare (to left of path)
Red Kite (Digiscoped)
Cattle Egret Video (Digiscoped)

In need of fresh air and a day birding (having endured cocktails and "Strictly Come Dancing" the night before for the wife's birthday) I got up early and headed south east hoping to avoid the very poor weather forecast. Travelling just over an hour down the M40 I headed to east of Steeple Claydon to try and see the long staying Cattle Egret. The bird was showing well on the front right side of the farm. The rain at this time was pouring down so I watched the bird as well as I could from a distance and tried to get a record shot and mini video through my scope.

I then headed to RSPB Otmoor, thankfully I'd read up on directions as signage was non existent. The reserve was superb and their were volunteers who were very kind in offering advice of where to walk. Despite the forecast the rain stopped. From the car park I headed towards the reserve passing scrub land which had good numbers of Fieldfare, Greenfinch, Reed Bunting, Tits, Bullfinches and Chaffinches. The feeders at the top were especially busy with birds awaiting their turn. 

In front on me was pasture land that was flooded (having not visited this reserve before there may always be some small lakes and scrapes in this area). Starlings flew in their hundreds looking for feeding opportunities. The hedgerows were simply full of birds all the way up the patch. The paths were in remarkable good condition given all the rain which was really pleasing. The top field was full of Lapwing, Teal, Wigeon and Canadian Geese. Ruff had been reported but I was unable to locate any. After a session there I headed to the first screen area where a viewing area was being built. I was told by a local that the summer Hobbies in this area are awesome to watch.  The lake ahead of me contained Gadwell, Pochard, Tufted Ducks and good number of Shoveller. A flock of around 400 Golden Plover took flight on regular occasion giving great views.

With time getting on I thought I'd have one more look through the scope and as I turned to check the area on my right a bird flew quickly and then perched towards the top of a reed. As a focused the scope I could see it was a Bearded Tit. The bird then took an undulating flight to the next reed bed but it was easy to note the distinctive long tail. Happy days ! Just needed a Bittern fly pass for a perfect visit but couldn't manage that however I watched two separate Red Kites hunt on the edge of the reserve. As I headed back to the car park a Hare appeared in from of me clearly trying to find some dry land. 

I can say for certain Otmoor is most definitely worth a visit at any time of year !

No comments:

Post a Comment