Sunday 12 January 2014

Shift change leads to 100 up

 Aqualate Mere
 Glossy Ibis (Bownhills)
Iceland Gull (Stubbers Green)
 Morton Bagot

With a new project launching at work I didn't need to consider the option to switch to late shifts for a week which would give me a few hours each morning to get out in to the fresh air. The plan was to try and visit a different place each day in the time constraints available.

On Monday I was restricted as it was training morning so had to make do with a lunch time visit to Sheepwash. 38 Goosander graced the main Balancing Lake with Little Grebes, Shoveller, Pochard whilst 4 Grey Heron were perched on the Sand Martin bank. As I left a Sparrowhawk gave chase to a flock of Redwing.

Tuesday I opted to try Morton Bagot in Warwickshire. The area only lies a couple of miles as the crow flies and I found a walk in Bird Watching Magazine that looked worth a try. There was large numbers of tree plantations on route and you can see why Great Grey Shrike had been reported here in the past. Parking by the church I did a lap of the church yard before heading over the field on the marked public right of way on a rain drenched field. The path just ended at the other end so not knowing where to head I viewed the Flashes from a distance. I only managed to pick up Mallard and a flock of 50 Lapwing. I did see 3 Pheasants which where my first of the year and a single Linnet showed as I headed back to the car. The area is very beautiful and the farming looks to be done so conversation can thrive at the same time. I don't think I perhaps saw the best of place but I would like to return for sure.

On Wednesday it had to be Upton Warren. On the way I did stop to survey a local area ahead of an evening walk looking for Owls. With time limited I opted for the Moors Pool. 30+ Redpoll showed well in the Alders by Lifestyles and also fed on the ground with a flock of Goldfinch.  From the hide the normal delights were on show including Curlew, Little Grebe, Snipe, Teal, Shoveller, Water Rail, Lapwing, Fieldfare and Pochard. As I headed back to car I could see a Mealy Redpoll feeding on the edge of the flock whilst a single Song Thursh was giving everyone a full rendition. As I stopped on the causeway to talk to Phil a Kingfisher whizzed over our heads giving stunning views. I'd never actually been stood under a Kingfisher fly pass before.

With a supposed improved weather forecast I headed through Black County picking Midland Birder up and then heading to Aqualate Mere in Staffordshire. On the way a Tawny Owl flew into a high conifer road side. There was a good car park which was nice and dry but that's where it ended. The path towards the reserve was very muddy however the boardwalk to hide was completely submerged. We had no other of choice than to wade half way up to our calves to reach the hide. Despite having water swilling around our boots we observed a pair of Willow Tits and a pair of Buzzards. Despite us scanning the Mere he could not find the Velvet Scoter or the Snew much to our annoyance. The water was full of bobbing birds highlights included a drake Pintail, Wigeon and Great Crested Grebe. The walk back was not pleasant.

The next stop was Gailey Reservoir where the weather had closed in to limit our viewing of a Great Northern Diver. There had been a Great White Egret reported but it had flown east earlier in the morning.

Due a change of luck it was sunny Brownhills next were a Glossy Ibis had been located in some horse paddocks. The Ibis offered some great views and seemed quite comfortable with its audience.

The final destination was Stubbers Green, Walsall for a gulling session. Despite larger gulls being limited on arrival there was a steady flow during our hour there. Among the  gulls were Greater Black-Backed, Herring, Black-Headed,Yellow Legged and a stonking Iceland. The Iceland Gull became my 100th species of the year. A local Sparrowhawk kept the gulls and Lapwing on their toes whilst the Mute swans continued to hold the traffic up on the causeway.


No comments:

Post a Comment