Thursday 18 December 2014

Goosander at RSPB Sandwell


I needed to drive over to West Bromwich on Wednesday afternoon so I took advantage to call in to RSPB Sandwell Valley for a bonus session of birding.

First to catch my eye were eight Goosanders, there doesn't seem quite so many around this winter to date and there haven't been any at all at Arrow Valley. These "saw billed" ducks seem to glide around effortlessly making everything else move out of their way. I like their style.

There was a nice selection of water fowl to see including Wigeon, Pochard, Mallard and Teal topped nicely with a flock of 50+ Canada Geese and a couple of Mute Swans. There was a large and noisy flock of Long Tailed Tits at the bottom of Swan Pool which appeared to follow me back to the car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment