Tuesday 3 May 2016

Ladwalk Sunday double

Female Pied Flycatcher
Black-tailed Godwit
 Great Crested Grebe
Common Tern

On Sunday afternoon I opted to head over to Ladywalk Nature Reserve for a bit of peace and quiet and to try and see my first Warwickshire Pied Flycatcher. Whilst I didn’t find the Flycatcher initially I did identify my first Garden Warbler of the year. His large eye caught my attention at first and further views revealed the grey necked side and short bill. Quite a bonus…………… I opted to walk round to the Riverside Hide where I looked over the lagoon to see a Black-tailed Godwit (my first for site), Oystercatcher, three Goosander and a late Wigeon among the highlights. A Sparrowhawk was hunting the reeds for a late Sunday lunch.

As I reached the path back towards the car park the female Pied Flycatcher appeared and sat on a branch looking straight at me. I even had time to take a couple of shots through the foliage. I’m really taking to Ladywalk, I find the number of hides spreads visitors out so it always seems quiet despite a full car park. In just a few months of membership with West Midland Bird Club I’ve seen some super birds there.

On the homeward journey I stopped in at Earlswood to see my first Terns of the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment