Tuesday 3 May 2016

Lamin Rice fields (Day 6 Gambia)

Great White Egret , Squacco Heron & Hammerkop
Straited Heron
Greenshank
Black Crake
Squacco Heron
Black-shouldered Kite
Senegal Thick-knee
Broad-biller Roller
Busy morning
More stunning habitat

My second trip with “King of Guides” Mallick Suso was to Lamin Rice Fields & Akubo. I’ll split the blog into two to accommodate my many photos. The rice field was around 35 minutes from the hotel. The dawn was amazing, sun rising and dawn chorus in full swing. There were awesome birds everywhere. The first channel we reached contained two Hammerkops, Black Egret, Squacco Heron & a Greenshank. It was just stunning. I picked out my first Giant Kingfisher in flight to which Mallick shrugged "I’ll get you much closer than that" ! Whilst watching a Night Heron, Mallick picked up a Straited Heron, yet another first.

Mallick was impressed that I found an African Crake which is a very difficult bird to find and in the same view we watched a Black Crake & African Rail. Further new species were added included Red-chested Swallow, Pied-winged Swallow, Black-shouldered Kite and African Harrier Hawk. It was great to see a Senegal Thick-knee much closer than I had previously. This was definitely a great place to spend a few hours. In addition to the fantastic selection of birds it was great to see the locals working close up on their land.

No comments:

Post a Comment