Wednesday 5 April 2017

Round the shires type of weekend

 Upton Warren - Grey Plover
Upton Warren - Little Ringed Plover 
Bredon Hill 
Mediterranean Gull 
Kingfisher 
Dancing Cranes 
Spoonbill - My best pic of the year
Best view when on south lake 
A busy few days of birding started with a late Thursday afternoon visit to Upton Warren where a Grey Plover was spending a few days on its migration. A Mediterranean Gull & Little Ringed Plover were nice additions as were the four Sand Martins over the Sailing Lake. 

On Friday I headed down to Slimbridge as I'd not been there for what seemed like an age. My first stop was the South Lake where a Spoonbill was on the edge of the lake however it spent most of the time asleep. My first Blackcaps & Willow Warblers were singing down in the Holden walkway and the Cranes were showing well in front of the hides. There really wasn't much variation from the Tower to the regulars until two Little Ringed Plovers landed by the flashes.

A pair of Kingfishers were preparing the nest for the season ahead before I headed back down to South Lake where I watched the Spoonbill having a preen before it took off towards the Holden Tower. I thought it was worth another try to see if I could re-find the bird. The gamble was rewarded with the best views of the species I'd ever seen. Sweeping the water from side to side & catching small fish which I managed to capture.

On the way home I met the Squire at Bredon Hill in the hope of finding a early Ring Ouzel but we had to settle for just great views of the wonderful countryside. 

Weekend birding at the pits was very average for the time of year and the southerly winds. Saturday saw me registering my first two Swallows of the year & 14 Sand Martin. By the south pits there were 5 Blackcaps & 3 Willow Warblers. Sunday's only change was a White Wagtail but the LRP's were on the main spit and it now looks like we have three pairs of Shelducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment