Tuesday 13 June 2017

Wyre Forest & Grimley birding

Spotted Flycatcher
Tawny Owl
Little Gull
As close as it got
Different angle
Flight shot
Only time witnessed together

An extended weekend was on the agenda and I was certainly ready for it. A new fitness campaign has started which certainly gave me more energy but also a few aches. There is no cheating as all the sessions are recorded through a heart rate monitor. Anyway on to the birds. I started with a long session of monitoring on Thursday afternoon & evening at the pits but nothing new to report. 

On Friday I thought I'd have a few hours in the Wyre Forest near Bewdley. I did my normal circuit but had to work pretty hard to find some species. I didn't see any Pied Flycatchers which was odd but did record three different Spotted Flycatchers. Only a single Tree Pipit was in the top field but a male Redstart was in good voice before flying into the forest before I could raise my camera. Three Wood Warblers were singing on territory and my only additional find was a Tawny Owl which was getting mobbed by a party of Jays.

A good evening of live music at Feckenham Cricket Club made it a slower start on Saturday feeling the effects of the Cloudy Cider. After doing the patch (seperate blog to follow) I went to see two showy second summer Little Gulls at Grimley. The patch watchers there have had a great spring. One of the Gulls stayed loyal in the same location whilst the other didn't stop feeding for the full duration of my visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment