Friday 2 February 2018

Local Owling

Little Owl delight
On the lookout
Tawny Owl enjoying the sunshine
Hunting Kestrel
A rare session of winter sunshine enabled me to head to a couple of local spots to see some of my favourite birds. First stop was a private farm where I was really pleased to see one of the pair of Little Owls. On my last visit they looked to be struggling with the attention of a clan of Jackdaws, thankfully they look to be still holding their territory. 

I then headed to Morton Bagot where the patch Tawny Owl was also enjoying the warmth as I headed down the hill. Of all the times I've been to Morton Bagot the Tawny has only been viewable a few times….very pleasing. Three Redwings & two Bullfinches emerged from the hedgerow whilst I watched the Owl.

A Kestrel was hunting for a late breakfast whilst I was watching a flock of fifty Redpoll flying around. Strangely enough I met another two birders from Redditch (one of which was a blog reader) on the way to the flash we had a nice chat before I starting scoping the flashes. The Flashes were quieter than I'd hoped & sightings were restricted to 3 Coot, 5 Teal, a Black-headed Gull, a Grey Heron, 2 Stonechat & 7 Lapwing (plus Cormorant over). In the field behind the flashes there were 15 Greylags.

On the way back the car I added 2 Goldcrests to the morning list feeding in the hedgerow where the logs used to be stored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment