Wednesday 7 September 2022

Dotterel on Cleeve Hill













I've seen Dotterel a few times over the years, but in all honesty, they have never been very close. I'd admired from a distance when birders have had crippling views on the Great Orme in spring and I've been tempted to go many times.

I didn't need any second invitation when an adult & juvenile was found on Cleeve Hill, high above Cheltenham Racecourse. I wrapped up my work for the day quickly before driving to the car park where the masts are (GL54 4EU). To find the birds, I needed to head north west to the distinctive memorial tree.

Upon reaching the tree, I found two birders who had been there for two hours and not seen the birds. They were convinced the birds had moved on but I was in no mood to give up easily. It didn't take me ten minutes to locate the birds much to the delight of the others birders.

After getting a few record shots, I decided to just lay down and just wait for the birds to edge closer. The juvenile was very interested and came within four feet whilst the adult watched closely.

It was a real pleasure to spend some quality time with a species I've always wanted to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment