Friday 29 April 2016

Lamin Lodge (Day 5 Gambia)

Blue-cheeked Bee-eater
African Darter
African Darter
Through the mangroves
Tour party
Lamin Lodge
Lamin Lodge
Lunchtime guests
Namaqua Dove 
Love Gambia

Reading the tourist literature about Lamin Lodge you would be expecting fancy restaurant, that it is not. It is a nice place where to take in lunch over looking the mangroves. We also pre-booked a mangrove tour which took about 90 minutes. Very relaxing time and managing to see my first Snake bird the African Darter. This was the only one we saw during the stay and the guides gave me plenty of time to get a good look. Caspian terns flew over head and we also found our first Blue-cheeked Bee-eater. I was hoping to see an Osprey or two but no luck with this species I’m afraid. As we headed back along the sand track I shouted a loud halt as a Namaqua Dove was feeding right in the middle of the road.

If you are intending to do a full morning in the mangroves check the tide times and be prepared for the boatman and any one associated with the boat dispatch centre to ask for tip. Personally I’d only return here if I was birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment