Sunday 21 May 2017

Black Hole Marsh (East Devon)







Third day on the south coast started with an hours sea watching at Seaton but promising southerly winds didn't deliver any decent sightings . They were limited to two Gannets, 11 Curlew, a Shelduck & three Swallows.

I was a bit disappointed as I thought I'd have every chance of seeing my first Pom Skua of the year so I headed to Black Hole Marsh. This superb reserve is sometimes called Seaton Wetlands. I met a lovely 'mad keen' couple from Weymouth whom I shared the sighting with two Black-tailed Godwits, a hunting Barn Owl, Redshank, Shelduck brood of six chicks and a Little Egret.

The site attracted a Least Sandpiper & I'm sure the site will attract many other great birders given the good habitat available.

No comments:

Post a Comment