Monday 29 May 2017

Suffolk double - Marsh & Savi's Warbler at RSPB Lakenheath

Marsh Warbler - Video
Marsh Warbler
 Song time for Marsh Warbler
 Mooing about in Suffolk
Sedge Warbler
 Marsh Harrier
 Fenland
 Viewpoint (Marsh Warbler by trees on left of photo)
Cropped Stone Curlew
 Long walk ahead
 Stunning habitat
Savi's twitch
The chance of recording two lifers proved too much on Sunday as I headed to RSPB Lakenheath in Suffolk. Leaving around 4.45am the journey proved trouble free but a bit boring in all honesty, it seemed longer than 2 hours 40 minutes. On arrival, as I passed the visitor centre, a Nightingale burst in song and showed itself quickly which was a real bonus as I didn't know they were present.

As per usual the target birds were at the furthest point from the car park. The sun was out with a slight breeze so the thirty five minute walk was pleasant enough stopping for some splendid views of Sedge Warblers & Cuckoo's. 

From the viewpoint I could see where the Marsh Warbler had been reported. That took another five minutes to reach using the path along side the river. I was expecting both of the days targets to prove troublesome to locate however the Marsh Warbler was sitting up in the reeds giving up a real rendition of song. Binoculars gave me good views but the scope enabled me to see the bird in great detail. 

Satisfied with the views and a couple of record shots I then continued down the patch to where the Savi's Warbler could be heard and seen on occasions. This bird had been a real blocker for me and was reeling on and off during the hour I was present but it took forty minutes to get the view I wanted.

The reserve looked fantastic and it was great to see both birds well with the backdrop of flying Bitterns, Marsh Harriers and Cuckoo's. As I headed back towards the visitor centre I met a birder from Essex whom I shared a good rattle with before two Garden Warblers burst into song as we went our separate ways.

I then opted to make the short drive to Weeting Heath to see the Stone Curlews. I arrived at the same time as a RSPB group on a day trip who clearly enjoyed the company of each other more than the birds. 

The drive home was longer than expected as I had to divert to avoid a nasty accident but with two lifers in the bag the extra thirty minutes was worth it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment