Monday 16 April 2018

A Glossy return to Upton

Glossy Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Reflections
Can't ever go to Upton with a photo of the Avocets
Sand Martin
Swallows

Over the last month I've done a number of double shifts at work so I decided to claim back time owed with a week off for spring migration. 

I started with a return trip to Upton Warren hoping to get some better views of the Glossy Ibis. Willow Warbler were in good voice as I edged along the path to the flashes. The Avocet were in the company of a Little Ringed Plover & boisterous Black-headed Gulls but no sign of the Ibis until it flew over us back into the crop field out of view.

Andy Pitt has tipped me off about a Grasshopper Warbler seen by the steps. With a fair amount of patience I caught it reel twice but neither time for very long. There was 100+ Swallows feeding on the Sailing Lake with around 20 Sand Martin. After taking a few shots I returned to the Flashes where the Glossy Ibis was showing excellently. Now that's more like it. I grabbed an excellent coffee & a rattle with Worcester based birder Lloyd Evans before heading to the pits  where there was definitely movement as there were 20 House Martin, 22 Swallow and 5 Sand Martin but still no waders or Wheatears.

No comments:

Post a Comment