Sunday 15 April 2018

Little Gull lights up a wet Saturday

Little Gull
Little Gull
Little Ringed Plover
Roe Deer
Common Sandpiper
Bredon Hill

It was an early start on Saturday with a walk up Bredon Hill. The stiff walk was made slightly tougher by the very wet conditions underfoot. As we reached the top cold air moved in bringing showers followed by mist. We just had time to find three Ring Ouzels before retreating to the car and coffee in Alcester.

As Mrs D perused the shops I headed to the pits hoping something may have dropped in as it was still showering on and off. After doing the normal scans and counts I picked up a small gull close to the Oystercatcher island. I was pretty sure it was an adult winter plumaged Little Gull but didn't see it come in. As I switched to my camera on the tripod to get a couple of distant shots I was pretty happy I'd recorded the third record of this species on the site. As I switched back to the scope the bird had disappeared never to be seen again. I hunted everywhere but just couldn't relocate the bird. 

On Sunday we had a strong team in the field with Chris Lane joining myself & Jon. Conditions looked very favourable except the for cold breeze. Over all we left a bit disappointed despite recording three year ticks with those being 2 Willow Warbler, House Martin and 11 Swallow. Other sighting highlights included 4 Little Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, 2 Green Sandpiper, 4 Blackcap, female Pochard, 2 Grey Heron, Redpoll over & 3 Oystercatchers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment