Thursday 22 November 2018

First thoughts of winter on recovery weekend

Goldeneye (Mark Clarke)
Fieldfare
                                                       Fieldfare
Wigeon
Pochard
Jon on patrol
Greylad
Canada Geese leaving main pit
Reed Bunting
Red Kite
Stonechat
Meadow Pipit
After a very big day & night out in Cheltenham I was in no condition to be doing my normal Saturday shift. I used the day to get myself back to normal and did a full audit on Sunday with Jon.

As I passed through Wheatley, 2 Red Kites were showing nicely but the light wasn't very good so I carried on down to the pits. 

Best birds of the day were an adult male Merlin, 2 Dunlin & a Golden Plover. My personal favourites were a flock of Fieldfare that were in the Marsh Farm orchard. Always a sign winter is around the corner. 

Counts included :- 8 Little Grebe, 78 Cormorant, 4 Grey Heron, 20 Mute Swan, 680 Greylag, 370 Canada Geese, 31 Wigeon, 10 gadwall, 105 Teal, 280 Mallard, 12 Shoveler, 155 Coot, 33 Lapwing, 1 Snipe, 70 LBBG, 30 Herring Gull, 7 Common Gull, 700 Wood Pigeon, 3 Green Woodpecker, 35 Meadow Pipit, 1 Grey Wagtail, 60 Carrion Crow, 2 Raven, 30 Goldfinch, 40 Siskin (in alders on souther boundary). Late Peacock & Common Darter.

I picked up a male Stonechat in an unusual spot which rounded the day off nicely.

Midweek 2 Goldeneyes were recorded by a number of the team whilst a Water Rail was recorded on edge of river at Broom.

No comments:

Post a Comment