Thursday 1 May 2014

Black Tern visit to Shustoke

 Black Tern


Shustoke Reservoir 

It was typical three Black Terns dropped into Upton Warren on Sunday when I was away in Wales so when I checked reports of a sighting at Shustoke Reservoir I decided to take a chance and make the journey to this Warwickshire site fairly close to the NEC.

As soon as I'd parked and set up the scope the Tern was flying out in front of me. Whilst the light was very poor for digiscoping I managed to get some good views just through the scope. These birds have a real natural beauty and a contrast between the black head and body and the slate grey wings. You can see the size of the bird on image three where you can see a Black-headed Gull behind the Tern. 

For those who don't know Black Terns are rare UK breeders and generally only seen on passage migration.

No comments:

Post a Comment