Friday 23 May 2014

Black-winged Stilts at Summer Leys

Vern Wrights Image (Received with thanks)
Distance from hide
Digiscoped Image
Digiscoped Image

Before leaving Otmoor I had a quick check on the RBA website to check if anything else had been reported. I was astounded to see two Black-winged Stilts had been reported at Summer Leys Nature Reserve near Northampton. Given my location I couldn't resist a diversion north east to this stunning reserve. 

On arrival the car park was packed except for a single space right opposite the entrance. Upon getting out the car a lady from the local Wildlife Trust announced to the me the 'the Stilts are best seen from that hide" guiding me to a short path.

Entering the hide the birds were showing brilliantly, first at rest and then feeding. Utterley brilliant, superb birds to see in the Midlands. You could see well the dark green velvet colour of the male compared to brown of the female. 

No comments:

Post a Comment