Friday 23 May 2014

Turtle Dove and Glossy Ibis at Otmoor

Arrival
Over looking Otmoor
 Glossy Ibis
 Turtle Doves
Which sign is worst ?

After missing the beautiful Turtle Doves in Norfolk I opted to take the 40 mile trip down the M40 to RSPB Otmoor on Sunday. A relatively easy drive was instantly rewarded as I got out of the car to hear a Cuckoo calling and then a Red Kite soar over after an early breakfast.

Heading up the main path the bird song increased with every step with Whitethroats and Blackcaps taking the honours. Before heading left I noticed a Glossy Ibis feeding in the fields to the left. Sadly he wasn't quite as sociable as the one I'd seen earlier in the year at Brownhills and it was difficult to get any sort of decent image.

I didn't find the Turtle Doves instantly however on my returning journey I picked up their purring call but not just one bird but three in close proximately to each other. These dainty doves looked amazing through my scope and it's superb to see the colours and patterns of their backs and wings in detail. It's difficult to imagine how difficult their migration must have been back to Otmoor given the absolute carnage over Malta which was highlighted brilliantly by Chris Packham. Once the European elections are complete I think it will be time to write to my MEP once again.

Elsewhere on the reserve there were many Lapwing with young, Redshank, Ruff, Greylags and Warblers. As I turned back for the car park a full family of 6 badgers crossed the path five yards in front of me without giving me a second glance. 



No comments:

Post a Comment