Thursday 1 May 2014

Whimbrel at Grimley to round off April

Whimbrel at Grimley


April ended with a real flourish with some great birds in North Wales and I finished the month with an evening walk over at Grimley. 

A Whimbrel was feeding behind the willow trees on the east shore. The bird was first reported on Sunday so it was unusual that it had been hanging around. Three Common Tern graced the old bridge railings in the centre of the water whilst else where there was several Little Ringed Plover, good numbers of Sand Martins, Gadwell, Cormorant, Redshank and a several Lapwing including 3 recently fledged birds.

On the way back up the causeway towards the car a flock of hirundinidae passed over including my first Swift of the summer. I did call in at Holt on the way back but there was not really anything different.

At the close of the month my year list stood at 209 whilst on Birdtrack it 206 in 86 locations. 

Those birds in April who I've not managed to catch up with yet are Wood Sandpiper, Garganey,  Hobby and Swift. Whilst I'll be hoping to see Spotted Flycatcher and Nightingale in May.



No comments:

Post a Comment