Thursday 8 May 2014

Bonaparte's Gull kickstarts May

I all most fell off my chair at work on Thursday lunchtime when I saw a Bonapartes Gull had been reported at Marsh Lane, Warwickshire. Needless to say I was faster out the office door than a dog out the traps to make the 40 minute journey round the M5 and M42. However the postcode I had for the reserve was completely wrong and I must have spend a frustrated hour driving round in circles.

You can imagine my frustration when arriving the Warden informed me the bird had flown off site. I was determined to still enjoy the reserve so I headed down the paths after duly paying my £4 permit charge. 

While settling back enjoying the Common Terns I spotted the Bonaparte Gull on the far side of the Tern island. He then flew even closer allowing some great views. Whilst very much looking like a Black-headed Gull at first sight you could easily see the almost charcoal colour of the birds hood and black beak. I managed to watched the bird for about an hour before he took off to feed again but did not return. I'm sure there was plenty of birders trying to find the bird among their Black-headed Gull roosts later in the evening.

Life on a Thursday afternoon……………..superb.

No comments:

Post a Comment