Wednesday 30 December 2015

Pink-footed Goose in closing days of year at pits

Greylag flock on main pit
Spot the Pinkie
Hand held shot of Pink-footed Goose
Hand held shot of Pink-footed Goose
Hand held shot of Pink-footed Goose
Hand held shot of Pink-footed Goose
Hand held shot of Pink-footed Goose
Fieldfares
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
November Patchwork Challenge

The Christmas break gave me plenty of time to visit the Salford Priors Pit. As well as doing my regular walks I've been trying to find a goodie like the Brambling I'd found a mile south of my recording area the previous Sunday.

On Monday 28th a smaller bird caught my eye at a distance among the regular flock of Greylags and upon closer inspection I'd found my first gravel pit Pink-footed Goose. I've been checking these geese all winter hoping of finding something different and thankfully it paid off. I'd approached the pit from the old workings so I had to be happy with the images I took from a distance. I did inform the other pit birders but only Ann & Noel could make it, it was a valuable year tick for them.

Other sightings included 60 Black-headed Gulls, 6 Gadwell, 12 Goldcrest, Jack Snipe, 15 Snipe, 8 Shoveler, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Buzzard, 2 Shelduck and Tawny Owl calling (2pm).

No comments:

Post a Comment