Monday 25 April 2016

Black-necked Grebe stars at Salford Priors


Black-neck Grebe


Video
Black-neck Grebe
Whimbrel
Ringed Plover
Villa Park scene either side of patch visits

Despite feeling a little worse for wear after a curry and beer night I was still on patch for 7am hoping catch up with anything that had come in during the night. I started with an extensive search in the Pophills area. My first Common Sandpiper flushed from the nearside corner and along the hedge line a Lesser Whitethroat was singing along side a couple of Blackcaps.  The Skylarks appear to doing very well and there was territories all around the pit. The main pit was very quiet with nothing different of note. Our first broods of chicks were  visible when a Mallard appeared with her new young family. When checking the area that the Turtle Doves first return to, I recorded my first two Common Whitethroats.

With Southampton FC at Villa Park, and having a free ticket, I was all set to leave for the train when Chris Lane text saying “Black-necked Grebe on main pit”. I flew down there faster than Lewis Hamilton in the hope the bird would just stay for another 10 minutes. Phew……as soon as I arrived the Grebe in summer plumage could be seen on north end of the pit. The light was in the wrong direction however I did manage to get a few record shots and bits of video. This was only the second record of the species at the site with the only other one being in September 2013. I duly let the Salford clan know who all came down during the day. The bird was still present until at least 7.30pm.

It was then off to Villa Park to watch the super Saints stroll to a 4-2 win in a very toxic atmosphere. It was great to see the Saints rack up an easy win against the Alcester Squires (Paul Hands) team to keep the local bragging rights in hand. During the second half I had another text from Chris – Whimbrel on ground. Then another – Brent Goose.

Needless to say I was flying out of Villa Park at the final whistle to head directly back to the pits for my third visit of the day. Sadly I missed the Brent Goose by 5 minutes but did get some fantastic view of the Whimbrel. I’d only recorded this species flying over before so this was a real bonus on a great day. Whilst I missed the Brent I still bagged another species in terms of a Ringed Plover that was keeping company of the Little Ringed Plovers on the central flashes.

My Sunday visit was restricted to a couple of hours in the afternoon where the Whimbrel was still present around the central lagoon and there were six Wheatears that I watched for a good hour sat down on an old concrete block. As I headed back to car I flushed a bird that flew very low up the channel towards the east bund – a Cuckoo !

Quite a weekend at Salford Priors.

No comments:

Post a Comment