Tuesday 19 April 2016

Sunshine, snow & showers







Snow and flooding greeted me on Saturday morning at Salford Priors making it a most forgetful morning. Sessions like this make you consider why you really do it. Everything seemed to be taking cover except for a large flock of all three hirundines. With very little passage of birds over head I retreated home with a morning grump on. 

Not to be beaten I headed for Abbots Salford where thankfully I found our first Reed Warbler of the year and then four Sedge Warblers. The morning rain looked to have brought down large numbers of Blackcaps as I found 20+ all within the same area. A number of Swallows were sat up on the wires between the pools which was great to see. Wildfowl numbers are generally the same except for the dropping number of Teal. 

Hopefully next week will bring something different. 

The February Patch Challenge resulted in a drop of four places to 11th and I will be surprised if I don't get another drop in March. After a brilliant trip to Gambia its been tough to keep motivated with habitat being destroyed daily and a lack of birds. 

Please note I have added the Warwickshire March sightings complied with Jon. You may note a Firecrest is included at Salford Priors. Regular pit birder Mark Islip found this bird on 28th March but given the habitat, access arrangements in addition to me being away on holiday it was decided that the information could not be shared along normal channels. A first for site and reward for Mark for plodding round in difficult conditions. Great work.

No comments:

Post a Comment