Tuesday 26 April 2016

M6 super twitch for Audenshaw Kentish Plover

Kentish Plover
Kentish Plover
Audenshaw
Location map

When a Kentish Plover was reported in Audenshaw, Greater Manchester I was instantly tempted to go. Since I've been birding, opportunities to see them are very rare and are generally always costal. The species is a summer migrant to northern Europe and breeds on bare ground. 

Going early without news was too much of a gamble so I headed to work as normal and waited for news and for the traffic to become quieter. I think I timed it well as I saw heavy traffic going in the opposite direction on both journeys.

Arriving at any type of twitch is always funny as we always tend to see at least one pensioner breaking into a run as if he's just heard the bird will fly off in the next two minutes. I was not disappointed as I witnessed a gentleman making giants strides around reservoir 3 to reach the Plover.

The bird is very similar to a Ringed Plover but is slightly smaller with longer legs & a slightly thinner bill. Whilst not a stunner it's narrow breast-side patched were good see so close. Considering the constant coming and going up above the bird seemed very comfortable and let everyone get fantastic views. I duly jumped back on the M6 and returned to work very happy I seen another new species at close quarters.

No comments:

Post a Comment