Monday 10 February 2014

Draycote delivers

          
 Draycote Water
 Long Tailed Duck
 Tree Sparrow
 Smew
 Great Northern Diver
Goldeneye


After being stuck down with a bad reaction to a course of tablets my kind doctor prescribed, I thought I’d opt for an easy walk to help me get back on my feet at Draycote Water near Rugby. The reservoir lies to the east of Coventry so took about 45 minutes to reach.  Signage was good for first time visitors like myself. The parking cost was £2.50 for an all day ticket which personally I was happy to pay given paths, parking, toilets facilities and visitor centre.

There is a five mile path that surrounds the reservoir but given I wasn’t still 100% I opted to try two smaller walks either side of the Visitor Centre. There were good numbers of Goldeneye accompanied by Tufted ducks and Great Crested Grebes.  As I headed towards the south east corner I located the reported Juvenile Great Northern Diver. Like the Diver at Swan Lake, Sandwell he dived for long periods and it was interesting to look up they can dive up to 60 metres beneath the surface.

Looking left towards Hensborough & Saddle Bank I picked up a Long Tailed Duck swimming at the back of the Tufties. I manage to grab a record shot in very grim light.

I followed the path a little further to get some great views of Tree Sparrow in a hedgerow which I was told was a great spot to see these elusive birds. You could clearly see the Chestnut cap, white cheeks and black cheek spot. I’d only seen Tree Sparrow in Norfolk previously so it was good to get a year tick close to home.

After exploring this end of the reservoir I returned to Visitor Centre and headed up the Farborough Bank. The bank was full of Meadow Pipits and Pied Wagtails. A great spot for Wheatear and Yellow Wagtail come the spring ! Within a couple of minutes I’d found what I was really after…….a drake Smew. This Scandinavian or Russian stunner gave some stonking views before flying off to the other side of the reservoir.


No comments:

Post a Comment