Friday 21 March 2014

Red-necked Grebe at Pitsford Water





I always try and make a habit of looking at what birds have been reported locally before setting out on any days out. Mike Alibone from Northants birding kindly sent me a map of where a reported Red-necked Grebe had been located at Pitsford Water. Given it was only 20 minutes off route and how difficult these are to see I opted to stop off on my returning journey from Rutland Water.

The Grebe was exactly where described by Mike and the wind was blowing the Grebe to within 20 metres of the reservoir shore line. I'd only seen one of these Grebes before and it was a great addition to the year list as they are so difficult to find. 

Next migrants due will be Little Ringed Plover and Wheatears. Let us see what the weekend brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment