Friday 23 May 2014

Pectoral Sandpiper is south Worcestershire delight

Gwen Finch Wetland
Pectoral Sandpiper
Bredon Hill


Six days after my last after work twitch to south Worcestershire I headed back on Tuesday after a Pectoral Sandpiper was reported. With being on cricket taxi duty I was very much undecided whether I could make it to the John Bennett Wetland (Gwen Finch Wetland Reserve) near Pershore. Without knowing where the reserve was or access it was a real gamble but I had a stroke of luck when I was driving on Nafford Road close to the area I saw another birder walking towards the river so I quickly parked and set off in pursuit hoping he was heading to the reserve. Thankfully my hunch was correct and the other birder was Brian Sretch of Birding Today (Worcestershire).

The american wader was well disguised on the shore line but I managed to set my scope up and get some great views and an image. Unfortantley as Brian entered the hide the bird took off and disappeared for 15 minutes before returning. The bird was quite similar to a Dunlin but a bit larger. You could clearly see the slightly down turned curve on the bill and the brown beast band.

May continues to be a great month for me, lets see if the final week can bring some final additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment