Tuesday 3 June 2014

Mild weekend bring May to a close

 Avocets
Mediterranean Gull 
Common Tern
Mallards

Despite having the week off for Whitsun to spend with the boys there was very little change to the birds locally. We just don't seem to have had the normal passage in recent weeks in Worcestershire, so it's been time to just enjoy the regulars.

I spent an enjoyable few hours at Upton Warren on Saturday where the Avocets chicks stole the show. You could really see how just a few days makes a difference between the chicks. A first summer Mediterranean gull also allowed great views whilst the Little Ringed Plover chicks had just hatched. Lets just hope they get some peace from the Gulls.

My Sunday walk took me across to Earlswood again and I walked the perimeter of all three lakes including Terrys Pool. The highlights were 11 Common Terns and the low flying Swallows right in front of us.

My current year list is 224 on UK 400 only one behind my total score for the whole of 2013. On Birdtrack I stand  5th on 222, not bad considering how tough its been in the Midlands.

I've got a trip away to the Farne Islands in June which I'm very much looking forward to. Should the weather be kind I should see Rosette Terns for the first time in addition to thousands of Puffins, Arctic + Common Terns, Eiders, Shags, Cormorants, Kittiwakes. I'm also hoping to get down to the Forest of Dean on a warm evening to see Nightjar, Woodcock and perhaps a Wild Boar ! 


No comments:

Post a Comment