Sunday 5 October 2014

Off to Portland Bill






I’d never been to Portland Bill before so given I was an hour away I opted to take advantage of my location to go for an explore. I was quite surprised how big Portland was and I stopped at the viewpoint to have a look at where the 2012 Olympic sailing events took place. Once reaching the tip of Portland Bill I opted for an hours sea watching despite the wind not being favorable. Along the edge of cliffs there were many Alba Wagtails and Meadow Pipits whilst a honking Raven made his presence known. Out at sea I picked up a single Great Skua and two Balearic Shearwaters and a steady flow of Gannets. I never get tired of watching these monsters of the sea gliding and diving for fish.

I called in a the famous Observatory where a warm welcome awaited. The locals kindly offered me a refreshing cup of coffee and a sit down and marked my card to the lie of the land. The garden was certainly not dripping in birds however just to tease me a Wryneck was ringed the next day !

Other sightings included BlackcapsChiffchaffs and Goldcrests,  2 Whinchats, Common SandpiperGarden Warbler and Lesser Whitethroat.


I think weather conditions were against me on this visit but I will definatley return.

No comments:

Post a Comment