Friday 29 May 2015

Red-necked Phalarope twitch to Slimbridge


Digiscoped image
Web Image
Digiscoped image



Before leaving Otmoor, Brian Stretch of The Birders Store, Worcester kindly let me know that a Red-necked Phalarope has been reported at Slimbridge. This small rare wader is a bird I've wanted to see since I started birding. A quick check on the SatNav revealed it was about ninety minutes away, easy decision, lets go !

The journey started well when I found another Turtle Dove on the edge of Oxfordshire as we headed west. On arriving at Slimbridge the car park was packed with half-term families so we had to weave our way through the waves of people faster than Lewis Hamilton going through the field at Monaco. 

Upon reaching the Ziess hide there wasn't a sole to be seen, not a good sign. Heading up the steps I had everything crossed. Scanning with eyes you couldn't see anything different however as soon as I set up the scope I could see the little beauty foraging for food along the waters edge.

These waders breed on wet mashes on mountainsides in Tundra & Northern Scotland and are rarely seen on spring passage. The bird was in summer plumage which was a real bonus. I genuinely chuffed to bits to this this little superstar.

I found this article about their migration via the BBC, well worth a watch.

1 comment:

  1. thank for sharing
    Visit http://jellygamatgoldg31.com/obat-alergi-herbal-paling-mujarab/

    ReplyDelete