Sunday 19 July 2015

Red-footed Falcon in Stoke on Trent

 Probably my best digiscoped image of the Red-footed Falcon
Red-footed Falcon
 Munching Red-footed Falcon
 Not my SLR !
 Not my SLR !
 Black Redstart
Little Owl 
You Tube Video of the Falcon

I don't like going through the dreaded M5 / M6 junction any time but the draw of a first summer male Red-footed Falcon in Staffordshire proved to bigger draw on Sunday. The traffic was reasonable however more of a concern of heavy showers which would effect viewing opportunities. Thankfully on arrival at Chatterley Colliery north of Stoke on Trent the sun came out to make the viewing very pleasurable.

There was around 100 people present to watch the very close Red-footed Falcon from the roadside. I imagined the views would be distant but the bird sat up around 200 metres away and came even closer when a birder threw pet shop locusts for the birds much to the delight of the photographers. These falcons originate from eastern europe and face their own challengers but its hard to work out why the bird was in Stoke on Trent ! A great bird for the Midlands, that is for sure.

Whilst on site I had a wander up the road to locate the reported female Black Redstart which was feeding on the side of the old buildings and gravel area. Whilst finding the Black Redstart I found a Little Owl on the far roof of an old building at the back of the site which I then pointed out to others present. I had another thirty minutes watching the falcon in the company of Brian Stretch from Worcester Birding before heading to cricket at Halesowen.

I do find it frustrating when twitchers arrive at a site they insist on driving past all the parked cars on the hope they park under the birds nose ! You wonder why this country has an obesity issue when people won't walk a couple of hundred yards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment