Wednesday 19 August 2015

My first Osprey at Salford Priors

 Dunlin on main pit scrape
 Garganey on Pophills
Osprey taken with my digiscoping camera (Small dot)
Osprey (File image)

After four days at Longleat Centre Parcs I was back at the Salford Priors on Monday evening and again on Tuesday morning. Whilst I was away Mike found 4 Black Terns (192nd species for site), Paul had located Ringed Plover & Ruff and Jon had a Wood Sandpiper on Sunday.  All species I needed on the patch challenge. Arrghhh !

The Garganey had returned to Pophills on my arrival which was nice however when I reached the main pit all the birds on the ground took flight indicating a raptor was getting close. As I scanned the skies an Osprey flew straight over the pit, absolutely amazing. This was my first Osprey at the site, without checking with Jon I'd say it was the 6th record for the site.

This takes my own species count for the year on the patch to 119 whilst the complete total is 124. Very decent compared to Upton Warrens 134 which you would expect with their large footfall of watchers.


No comments:

Post a Comment