Tuesday 24 November 2015

Whooper Swans at Napton

Whooper Swans

Whooper family

Leaving Draycote at 1pm Jon kindly offered to show me near by Napton Reservoir which I’d never visited before. He has recently discovered some Bearded Tits at the site which many locals had enjoyed and Jon has found some great birds in the past there. Upon reaching the water side a male Goldeneye was swimming very close in and there were also a number  Shoveller present.  Imagine our surprise when we saw five large swans coming into land, were they Whoopers ? There were 2 adults and 2 juveniles.  We were both highly delighted, I didn’t have my scope but I did take a couple of shots with my SLR. The male Mutes were quickly charging towards them until they discovered they were actually Whoopers.  

We did a full circle of the site which included walking along the canal patch where a flock of Common Gulls were present. I did put the news out very quickly however I noticed that the Swans had spent less than an hour on site before leaving for pastures new.  Cracking site……..will be calling in there again for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment