Friday 19 February 2016

Ladywalk Bittern








Eurasian Bitterns are one of the most fascinating birds that lives and breeds in the UK, yet their secretive nature makes prolonged views of the species extremely difficult. Not feeling in great spirits I decided to try my luck and do a lap of Ladywalk Nature Reserve. 

On arrival I saw three regular Chiffchaffs and what looked to be the Siberian Chiffchaff about fifty yards in front of the gated entrance. To be fair I was more interested to trying to see one the sites possible three Bitterns. 

I joined three other regular members in the B hide who were very welcoming. All three were staring at the reeds watching the Bittern. Despite only being 20-30 feet away it was very difficult to see the bird until you actually found it. Then the views were brilliant. You could see how the Bitterns camouflage would be a tremendous asset for the bird.

I was able to watch the bird feed on fish and invertebrates right in the middle of the reeds through my binoculars for around 40 minutes around 1pm. On occasions the bird would lie down flat with its break in the water waiting for its prey. It was an amazing sight. The bird did creep right and through a small channel which enabled me to grab a few shots with the bridge camera.

If you fancy going to see the wonderful Bitterns for yourself please remember Ladywalk NR is part of West Midlands Bird Club and if you are not a member a permit is required. 

No comments:

Post a Comment