Saturday 16 April 2016

Early finish for Telford Iberian Chiffchaff







There are very few advantages of working in Black Country, in fact I can’t think of any however it’s location halfway to Telford came in handy on Thursday as I finished work early to twitch a reported Iberian Chiffchaff. To be honest I was very dubious about going when it was first reported however after hearing a song recording I thought it was worth the drive. Taking the easy 40 minutes from work to get there I quickly donned the wellingtons and was very encouraged as I could hear the rare migrant from the car.

Crossing the small lane and through the kissing gate there were three others birders all looking up. Within a couple of minutes I was able to see the bird well although it did spent most of its time fairly high. It did drop down lower once during my hour on site which was great to see the bird at closer quarters.

Iberian Chiffchaffs ID are always very debatable, as they look so similar to the every day Chiffchaff however given the birds song and has a more distinct supercillium you have to be very hopeful this is an accepted record. Fantastic find by however found the bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment