Friday 10 February 2017

Russian White-fronts land in Sandwell






Determined not to sit at my desk and waste every lunch time this year by just carrying on with daily duties I headed out on Tuesday the short drive to the back end of RSPB Sandwell Valley. Parking at Forge Mill farm I was pleased to find the reported flock of 32 White-fronted Geese eating well to the north of the farm. I had to be happy to scope the birds from the roadside as the path at the back of the farm was closed due to bad weather. 

Pleased with seeing the geese I walked over to the main lake to have a scan in the remaining time of my lunch break. First bird to catch my eye was an Oystercatcher that flew past me. A single Wigeon was feeding under the willows whilst a female Goldeneye was at the west side. Sandwell Valley regulary gets excellent Goosander roosts and I managed to record 30 birds of mixed sexes. The only other species of note were 12 Pochard.

Not a bad lunch break………..

No comments:

Post a Comment