Sunday 28 January 2018

Tardibigge Hawfinches

High & handsome
Long range shots only
File photo (RSPB)
St Bartholomew's Church
Grey Wagtail
 Much easier to photograph

This winter has seen Hawfinches take over from the Waxwings as the winter stars on the UK birding scene after record numbers have made it over from Europe following crop failures in Romania & Germany.

I called in to St Bartholomew's Church, a regular passing point on my bike circuit, to take in a short walk as I try to get back on my feet. These birds are the UK's biggest finch and have an eye catching large super beak. This particular flock of eight birds has taken up residence and were easily seen when I first arrived as they sat up high above the car park but then were very mobile, only allowing me to get a couple of distant shots with the camera.

Other sightings included a very showy Grey Wagtail, 2 Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Wren, Blue & Great Tits, a Buzzard, 6 Greenfinches, 2 Robins & several Goldcrests.

Other local sightings of Hawfinches include 20 at Bewdley, one at Grimley & 6 at Arley. If you have never seen one then get out there to witness them.

No comments:

Post a Comment