Saturday 10 February 2018

Bartley Reservoir Gulling



Iceland Gull (taken last year)


With a shocking forecast for Saturday I opted to call in to Bartley Reservoir on the way home from work on Friday to catch the Gull Roost incase I couldn't get out on Saturday. There has been over 35,000 Black heads coming in recently however this roost was on the quieter side sadly.

I picked up four Goldeneye whilst I was waiting for gulls & there were at least 7 Great Crested Grebes & 5 Grey Herons at the east end. I'd just got my eye in and located the 2nd winter Iceland & 3 Great Black-backed when the local Peregrine decided to ruin the party. I saw the raptor arrive from over the school and head straight for the middle of the roost. Speaking to top midland guller Terry Hinnet he advised that one of the gulls may have been carrying a loose bit of fishing line or rubbish attracting the Peregrine as an easy target. 

It is always great to see a Peregrine but I'd rather this individual have saved this particular visit, he tried four different runs at the roost causing the gulls to perform their own type of murmuration. As the light faded I headed for home as I didn't fancy taking any risks being on my own in a well known trouble hot spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment